Sunday, July 13, 2008

To Market, To Market: Mid-July

Our last, and most delicious CSA box was picked up on Saturday.

It contained the following:



Sumptuous Cherries. Mainly devoured, but also used to add color and sweetness to a salad.


A HUGE head of lettuce. I love it . Side salads all week!


Sweet sugar peas. Also lovely in salads...but so good lightly steamed, and a fresh delicious snack...a much happier discovery than the toxic fava beans.


There is something so beautiful about a head of Cauliflower. I think we will enjoy this tonight steamed with plenty of butter and sea salt. I also have a delicious cauliflower souffle recipe that I might break out.


More Rhubarb! I am thinking more pie. I do have a recipie for stewed rhubarb that sounds fun....so that might happen as well.




More summer squash. This too makes it into our daily salads. Last week it made it into some noodle-less pasta sauce...this week??? I am preparing a vegetable bean soup that will probably need at least one of those lovely green tubers.


This beautiful edible plant I still don't know what is...but it was put to immediate good use to decorate the birthday cake on Saturday:

Elliot 1, Husband 40. Soren and I should have dueling cakes next month.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the cake, Marianne! Can't wait to see next month's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leah! I am already plotting for next months cakes...I have a chocolate wedding cake to practice for as well - yum! (perhaps we'll have to plan that for whenever you come to dinner, no?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. stewed rhubarb is so good, i'd love to hear a good recipe for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe I have is from Nourishing Traditions.

    6 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into inch pieces
    1 tbsp freshly ground ginger
    ~1/2 cup filtered water
    1/2-3/4 cups raw honey

    Place everything but the honey in a pan, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer for an hour (with occasional stirring) until rhubarb disintegrates. Allow to cool and stir in honey to taste.

    It recommends serving it with whipped cream, but I have also heard it makes a lovely ice cream topper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh! I can totally eat this...no sugar, hooray! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look like pansies to me! Great idea to use them on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris - Thanks for finding my blog! I did suspect pansies...perhaps a miniature variety? My boys were very excited about getting to eat flowers (as they usually want to when we're out exploring).

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails