Sunday, September 21, 2008

Catering: My Sister's Wedding - Report


Me and my sisters

A couple things to remember for catering in the future:

1 - Don't cater an event you want to attend (especially if you are supposed to be in photographs).

2 - Don't cater an event from out of town.

That said, I would do it all again for my sister and new brother. I think it was a success, and we had ample food, as I was given the head count for the invited number rather than the rsvp'd number. I do not think anyone minded the left-overs.

Once in the kitchen on location, I realized I had left the gravlox at home in my refrigerator, and had brought a yogurt container half-full of yogurt, rather than a yogurt container stuffed-full of Bok Choy leaves to add to the gravy. These details were not much missed.

I was incredibly blessed to have some wonderful volunteers helping in the kitchen, and most notably, this lovely lady on the left:



It was not only tremendously helpful to have help, but it was also a joy to see so many friends supporting my sister and brother-in-law on their special day.

I was not able to document the process, or the finished results in the way I had hoped, but I know that the photographer took some shots of the banquet table, so I do hope to have something to share soon.

In the mean time, I did take pictures of the homemade, live crackers that were a huge success (so much so that my husband asked if I could start making him some - so I have a new batch in process right now), and SO simple.

This recipie is from Nourishing Traditions:

3 cups soft wheat berries
1/4 cup non-irradiated sesame seeds (I used half black half white, and you can also use caraway seeds)
filtered water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup raisins or currents (optional - I did use them; it lends a little more sweetness)

Place wheat and seeds in a bowl and cover with filtered water. Cover and leave in a warm, dark place 24-hours. Pour out water, replenish, leave for another 24-hours.
Test berries by pinching. If still hard, pour out, replenish, and leave for another 24-hours (mine were soft after 48 hours and did not require another day of soaking - this probably depends on the weather conditions).
Pour off excess water, transfer berries with slotted spoon to food processor, and process with salt until smooth. Add optional raisins or currents and pulse a few times.

Then for crackers, brush stainless steel baking sheets with olive oil or butter, and use a rolling pin to flatten dough into thin sheets on the pans. Bake in a 150-degree oven or in a dehydrator until crisp. Break into crackers.

For bread, form dough into balls and flatten slightly, place on the baking sheets and bake at 150 for 12-hours, turning half-way through. If you live in a hot climate, you can bake these in the sun.

(I used a dehydrator we were borrowing, and flattened the dough on parchment sheets I placed on the dehydrator trays. I also used my large butcher knife to pre-cut the dough to make for an easy and clean break once the crackers were dry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails