Friday, February 13, 2009

Preparing your own tomato seeds

This will be our first year with a garden. I am quite excited. Right now I am experimenting with preparing our own seeds from real food! I bought every organic variety of tomato at the grocery store (Roma, slicing, small round, cherry). I also want to find some grape tomatoes and heirlooms....so we might have to buy some seeds.

I have never tried this before, but from what I have read, you can cut the tomatoes in half on the equator, squeeze out the juices and seeds, add some water, cover with plastic wrap, poke a small hole in the top, and let sit for several days removing the plastic once a day to stir the mixture (loosening all the seeds), and then drain and let completely dry out for several days. Then the seeds can be stored.

A fermentation process happens as you leave the seeds out, and this kills off any potential tomato diseases from ruining your seeds.

Soon we will plant our own starts and see what happens!

4 comments:

  1. This is great! Please keep us updated on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! So far the water is just getting icky (which I expected). Soon I will move to drying....then planting! That should tell us all we need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did the tomato seeds go? I bought the seeds this year since we have a new garden too but I am hoping to save them for next year. Dying to hear how it went...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder to update on this!

    Our seeds are doing wonderfully! We have about 40 plants growing around the house and are hoping to get them into the ground at the end of this month, or mid-May (depending on temps). It took 9-12 days for all the seedlings to come up, and they all took.

    I am excited to never have to buy tomato plants again!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails