Thursday, June 18, 2009

Healthy Desserts: Quick Compromise Cupcakes

My youngest son turned 2 yesterday. We had just returned from a trip out of town but I really wanted to bring something for celebration to my eldest son's soccer class (filled with lots of mutual friends and little siblings who watch). This gave me about an hour to come up with something. Sadly, not enough time to soak or sprout and grains. However, if a pie can have unbleached white flour for the crust, then surely some birthday cupcakes can have un-soaked, non-sprouted, whole spelt flour.

Quick Compromise Carob Cupcakes
makes 12

Cake Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour (use sprouted flour to remove the compromise! Though be prepared to use more milk)
1 cup milk
1 cup rapadura
1/3 cup carob powder
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp chocolate extract (optional)
1 tsp vinegar

Topping Ingredients:
1-2 cups heavy whipping cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
pinch of stevia powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a hand-held mixer. Divide into muffin tray lined with baking cups and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from tray immediately and let cool on wire racks. In the mean time, whip cream until soft peaks form, add stevia and vanilla extract and whip until cream is quite thick (but not butter). Place a dollop of cream on each cup cake and enjoy!

One of the moms commented on how "organic" these cupcakes look. Organic in the sense of simple and from the earth, not necessarily that they looked certifiable =) I enjoyed the novelty of cupcakes with cream rather than frosting as well, and the kids all thought it was grand (and no one seemed to mind the carob!)

6 comments:

  1. nice work finding a good compromise.

    i think i'd much rather whipped cream than the mounds of buttercream that are usually found on top of cupcakes. (nasty...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm sounds yummy I might need to try that recipe out.
    PS,
    did that camera work out for you?
    pps
    my word verification is Craaap...I thought that was kinda funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teal - Thanks. I think the best recipes often come from having to make do with what's on hand. I think I might permanently switch to whipped cream for cupcake tops. Yum.

    Summer - You should (well, unless the word verification is an indication that this compromise is not worth it)! The boys - even Andrew - really enjoyed them. I am still playing with the camera and trying to get used to the delay (or figure out how to adjust the settings)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I can only stand carob if it's in something and I don't know it's carob, but then again the last time I had carob was when I was like 8 so who knows.

    I just did a dessert thing on friday night with fresh fruit and whip cream, I used a little bit of warmed honey, added straight to the liquid cream and it was delicious. These look more than organic, they look simply divine.

    Happy Birthday E!

    (oh now my word verification was torterr - totally looked like torture, haha carob!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg - Next time I make them you'll have to try them...though I am now out of chocolate extract, and that does help mask the flavor.

    Whipped cream with honey! That sounds divine as well.

    (I might have to remove the whole word verification thing, it doesn't seem to be treating this food blog fairly!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate cupcakes with whipping cream. A little slice of heaven, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails