Thursday, July 2, 2009

July Challenge: Make your own Sauerkraut

The growing season is in full swing, and we have been delighted by the large cabbages in our farm box the last couple weeks. Now is the time to utilize garden abundance to preserve foods for the winter.

In keeping with that idea, the challenge for this month is to make your own sauerkraut. This is actually a very simple and rewarding task that will also be good practice for other traditional preserving later in the harvest season (I am thinking salsa, chutneys, etc).

This challenge is simple, try preserving sauerkraut traditionally (this means fermenting with salt or whey rather than "pickling" in vinegar). If you are already a preserver, study your harvests (or u-pick options) and see if you can figure out how much you would have to preserve to last you through the next season. I noticed that bulk cabbage is on a great special right now through Azure Standard, and since our own cabbage does not seem to have taken well in the garden this year, a bulk order may be in store this month for us.

I will post a photo-how-to in the next week on making sauerkraut, and you can see how simple it is, even without fancy equipment. I will also share tips for some tasty variations (like latin American sauerkraut).

Other things you are inspired to preserve this month? Please share in the comment section!

5 comments:

  1. When you post a how-to will you also talk about canning? That scares me much more than the making sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I've ALWAYS wanted to make sauerkraut - like ever since I was eighteen and I found out you could make it at home! Alas, these days I'm married to a guy who won't touch it. What's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne,
    Quick tell us how to make it because Melanie's coming to visit in a few weeks to teach us to can and we want to can sauerkraut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi! Sorry ladies. I was without real internet access the last couple weeks. I will try to get stuff up shortly.

    My recipie for sauerkraut does not involve canning, however, so I am not sure how the two shall blend. I hope that one or the both of you post all about your canning exploits together!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails