Monday, January 25, 2010

Menu Plan Monday!

It's been a while, but we've moved and are somewhat settled, so it's back to menu planning!


Photobucket


Monday
B: Oatmeal porridge (with cinnamon, butter, and raisins), raw milk
L: Snack board (apple slices, cheese, buttered bread, crispy hazelnuts), raw milk
D: Steak, spiced and sprouted quinoa, carrot salad, raw milk
To Do: Soak oats for porridge, defrost liver, feed sourdough mother, make cookie dough

Tuesday
B: Oatmeal porridge as usual, raw milk
L: PB&Honey, carrots, apple, raw milk
D: Quiche, salad, squash soup, raw milk
To Do: Soak oats for porridge, marinate roast in buttermilk and liver in lemon juice, bake cookies, grind flour, bake bread, soak garbanzo beans, make quiche & pie dough, feed sourdough, soak wheat berries, start a new batch of beet kvass

Wednesday
B: Oatmeal porridge as usual, raw milk
L: Leftover quiche, carrots, apples, raw milk
D: Liver & onions, sauteed spinach, leftover squash soup, raw milk
Dessert: Cranberry pear pie with whipped cream
To Do: Feed sourdough, soak oats for porridge, make sauerkraut, cook garbanzo beans, make sprouted flat bread, tend sprouting wheat berries, defrost ground lamb

Thursday
B: Oatmeal porridge as usual, raw milk
L: PB&Honey, apples, cheese, raw milk
D: Baba ganouj, hummus, sprouted flat bread, olives, lamb kebabs, raw milk
To Do: Make sourdough, soak oats for porridge, tend sprouting wheat berries

Friday
B: Oatmeal porridge as usual, raw milk
L: PB&Honey, Carrots, Raw milk,
D: Dinner at friends'
To Do: Feed sourdough, soak flour for pancakes,dehydrate wheat sprouts

Saturday
B: Soured pancakes, bananas, cream, raw milk
L: Snack board, raw milk
D: Roast with potatoes and carrots, salad, sauteed Brussels sprouts, raw milk
To Do: Feed sourdough mother

Sunday
B: Bacon and eggs, raw milk,
L: Roast sandwiches, raw milk
D: Leftovers from week, raw milk
To Do: Soak oats for porridge, feed sourdough mother

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about you?  Do you know what you're eating this week? For more inspiration, visit the carnival
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

  1. OK. I have to know. How in the world do you get your kids to eat those dinners?!! I am having the worst time with that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you cook your liver and onions? I'm giving liver another try with Riley tomorrow ... we'll see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week:

    Chicken eggs
    Duck eggs
    Bacon
    Sausage
    Ham

    Mushrooms
    Peppers
    Onions
    Kale
    (we love to get the wok out in the morning)

    Macaroons
    Tangerines
    Oranges
    Apples

    Pumpkin
    Squash
    Yams

    Leftover lamb
    Leftover "hot wings" homemade by Boo!

    Sprouted bread
    Ciabatta bread

    Raw milk with cacao and I hope to get some cream for whipping

    Miscellaneous packaged snacks that Boo loves and picked out all by himself

    Store-bought kombucha (because it's too cold here and I can't keep a culture from getting contaminated with mold...any tips?)

    And much much more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am not familiar with the Weston A Price foundation, but I am impressed by your organization! Wow!

    Where are you getting raw milk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn - Several things:

    1 - Quiche must have bacon. Then everyone eats it. Soup must have creme fraiche.

    2 - This is our first revisit of liver and onions in a while. I have simply decided I am going to make liver every week and we are all going to get used to it. I have heard that if you just keep serving it, everyone gets used to it and actually starts craving it. However, my 2 1/2 year old (Elliot) LOVES liver. Perhaps because it was one of his first foods (I am cruel like that - Penny had her first food today - warm runny egg yolk with sea salt and grated frozen liver). Elliot is the only one who doesn't make faces about the liver and actually gobbles down his portion.

    3 - Also notice that there is a dessert scheduled for liver night. They have to earn that pie by eating their dinner. Is that bribery? Perhaps, but I'm okay with that.

    4 - I never force them to eat anything - however, I never make them something else, so they have learned to eat if they are hungry. For the most part, this has caused them to have a taste for things most kids their age probably wouldn't want to eat.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - So far I have only prepared it according to the Nourishing Traditions recipe (page 307). Marinating it in lemon removes the fuzzy texture. I still have not come up with something to hide the fact that the aftertaste makes me feel like I'm eating dirt. Do I sound excited about this meal or what!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Boo Radley - Mmmm, that's a list of some of my very favorite foods. I am sure there will be some raw moo chocolate happening here too (we've found a source of raw cacao powder, with raw honey and warmed but still raw milk = YUM).

    I've never had mold problems with my Kombucha. I usually place it on top of my refrigerator with a thick paper bag over the top to keep it dark and as warm as possible. If you have a cabinet to hide it in a warmer part of the house, that could work too. Kombucha really wants someplace regularly 70-72 degrees, but I have found that when it's cold, it just takes longer. No mold. Also important is filtered water (chlorine can kill the mushroom) and organic black tea (most non-organic black teas are processed with formaldehyde and/or fluorides).

    But store bought might just save you lots of hassle if you have a drafty kitchen.

    PS - I think you should have another recipe guessing post soon. I enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. N*Stiches - Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    Dr. Weston A Price was a dentist who traveled to many many indigenous people groups to study their health and compare to westernized peoples. He found significant commonalities between all the traditional diets and witnessed their amazing vitality and freedom from modern diseases. The foundation has taken his findings and done additional studies. They strive to promote and share the wisdom of how we were made to eat. Their website is www.westonaprice.org.

    I get my raw milk from a local farm here. Here's a good place to start looking in your area: http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html#ga and if you contact the Weston A Price Foundation chapter leader in your area, they could probably help you find sources that might not advertise on the realmilk.com site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to issue a small retraction re: my comment about drinking raw hot chocolate.

    It has very recently been brought to my attention that raw cacao is very high in phytates. I am now going to self-roast the small amount of raw cacao that I had bought (even though we really only use cacao powder sparingly).

    For a very interesting dialog about phytates and dental/bone health, check out Ann Marie's recent post about her podcast interview with Rami Nagel. (link here: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/01/27/how-to-cure-tooth-decay-with-rami-nagel/)

    The comment section is very helpful (once you scroll past all the discouraged comments from women like me!). Remember - it's a post about bone and tooth decay and what is needed to reverse that decay.

    In one of Ann Marie's follow up comments she wrote the following:

    " 'I heard someone ask Sally Fallon Morell,"How careful do we have to be about what we eat?" Her answer: "It depends on how sick you are." ' "

    So take it with a grain of salt, extreme measures are only required for extreme illness.

    That aside, being born after (well, truly IN) 1980 puts me in a higher risk category, and I know that I have a bit more work to do to get phytates out of our diet.

    Hope this is helpful! Thanks for letting me retract!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails