Thursday, January 21, 2010

Raw Milk's Filling Oreo

It is hard to be a raw milk lover who also occasionally craves things like Newman's O's (the organic, tastier version of an Oreo) because there really is something about milk's favorite cookie. I would not like to admit that my husband recently brought home a package that disappeared less than 24 hours later. There are 4 of us who have teeth, so it was not all me, but it did convict me that I needed to come up with a substitute so that my husband does not bring home such atrocities to our normal diet again.

After eating FAR too many Newman's O's FAR too quickly, I read the packaging to see just how bad it was. The package marketed their unusual choice of fat - organic palm fruit oil - which they state "Is lower in saturated fat than butter and has no cholesterol" (which they thought was a good thing). This was my "aha!" as to why I devoured SO MANY. They were not filling. The body registers fullness based on nutrient and fat content. A cookie should be rich, so that you do not eat eight and then call upon massive will power to stop! I decided I would make our own oreo's - and they would have butter!

Without further ado, here is my recipe (containing 3/4 pound of butter) (I ate two, with a glass of raw milk and was well satisfied):


Raw Milk's Favorite Cookie


Makes: 25-40 cookies depending on size.

The Cookie

  • 1 1/4 cup sprouted flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (you could also use carob powder, but then add 1 tbsp chocolate extract with the egg and butter)
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup Rapadura (or sucanant)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 1 large pastured egg
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the sprouted flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt, and Rapadura.
  2. Beat in the butter and the egg. Continue mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
  4. From here you have options. You could use moistened hands and slightly flatten the dough. I used our hand tamper for the espresso machine and placed another buttered sheet of parchment paper (or a free butter wrapper, since there were plenty about) on top of the cookie and gently smooshed them flat. This also allowed me to make them all approximately the same size (judging by the tamper).  A small glass with a flat bottom would work for this as well.
  5. Bake for 9 minutes at 375 F. Set on a rack to cool.

The Filling

  • 7/8 cup (14 tbsp) room-temperature butter
  • 1 cup arrowroot powder
  • 1 cup raw honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or for other flavors, try 1 tsp vanilla plus 1 tsp peppermint, chocolate, hazelnut, or orange, etc.)
  1. Place honey and arrowroot powder in a medium bowl and slowly mix together. When well blended, add butter and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Then blend in extract.
  2. To make a cookie, add dollops of cream into the center of a cookie. Place a similarly sized cookie on top of the cream. Lightly twist and press to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. (note: the filling will set up better when chilled - if you can wait for it)
  3. Enjoy!
  4. Store extra in refrigerator or freezer (Be sure to save some to enjoy with homemade raw ice cream!)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a part of Fight Back Fridays hosted by Food Renegade
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Thank you so much for sharing. I love how you turned a very unhealthy, ultra-sugary snack, the chocolate sandwich cookie, into something people can feel good about. I would like to try this with a nut butter filling and some peppermint essential oil added to the mix. May I repost this on my blog: http://sacredwellness.wordpress.com/
    & my girlfriend's blog:
    http://lovingyourbody.wordpress.com/

    Thank you! Keep up the great posts!

    Be well,
    Christina Cicack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad - Let me know if you need milk! We have a little extra this week. =)

    Christina - Thanks for reading! Yes, please feel free to repost. I think we'll be trying some with peppermint as well today (I haven't assembled all the cookies just yet). I look forward to peaking at the blog links you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a first hand witness ... they're delicious! Please always feel free to post yummy, sugarless treats. I have a lot of learning to do in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Thanks for the testimonial =) I am so glad Andrew left you guys one! I will not hesitate to share more naturally sweetened treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I found the cookie part quite delicious (although Kimberly found it a bit gritty due to the flour...maybe I need to grind it more:-/..either way, I thought it was fantastic) but the creamy center was...arrowrooty...did you really mean for one to put in a whole cup? Kimberly and I both thought that quantity sounded quite extravagant and when Kimberly and Page were together yesterday, Page had one of my cookies and thought the filling tasted like arrowroot whereas she didn't taste that she she tried the ones you made. Anyway, all in all, a pretty yummy cookie. Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the sprouted flour is certainly more gritty than refined flour, but we find it just the right kind of crumbly for imitating the oreo cookie. Maybe my coffee grinder works well for the grinding? I'll have to save you some from my next batch (I'm making some for bible study this week) so that you can compare.

    I really did use a cup of arrowroot, or at least very nearly so (like 15/16's if not a whole cup). I am sure you could cut it back though without harm. I have some leftover frosting, if you wanted to taste ours. It might depend on the flavor of the honey? We used the rest of our store bought one, not this recent Azure delivery.

    Glad you enjoyed the cookie!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails