Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday Twister - English Muffins, Brownies, and Eggs Benedict


Last week we discovered that a friend's recipe for English Muffins worked just fine with a trade for homemade sprouted flour and honey rather than sugar.



I was also inspired to try another friend's recipe for black bean brownies.  Yes, brownies made with black beans.  I first served them with whipped cream (seen left with husband's morning latte - yes, the also make a decent morning treat).  I waited until my husband had finished his second helping before informing him they were made with black beans.  I substituted sprouted flour for the ground almonds, Sucanat for the florida crystals, doubled the cocoa powder as I didn't have chocolate chips, and used baking soda rather than powder  - but WOW were they delicious.

Above mentioned English muffins were perfect with nitrate-free bacon, Bearnaise sauce, spinach and a poached egg for a Sunday brunch.  Yum.











----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a part of Tuesday Twister hosted by GNOWFGLINS 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 comments:

  1. Hello, Marianne! I have not been brave enough to try those brownies, but you make me think I should. I see a heart in somebody's morning latte. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wardeh! Thanks for the comment. My husband was astonished when I told him the primary ingredient was black beans. He thought I was kidding. All that to say, the next time you have extra black beans you should be brave! I think you will be amazed (and whipped cream helps mask any lingering hint).

    The heart is our little reminder of the beginnings of our love story. We met when he worked next door to the coffee shop where I was a barista. I quit the shop shortly after we married but have not stopped making him lattes everyday (but many of the ingredients have improved)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great story - and sweet that you keep up the reminder.

    Hey - are you going to the fat rendering event on Saturday for the WAPF chapter? It was mentioned in the last newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hadn't actually read through the newsletter this month! I live in South Eugene, and I would LOVE to go. I have yet to try rendering fat. That seems like something to see in person before attempting at home!

    I would be all the more excited if it meant I could meet you in person. If you can come, I will definitely go. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - I will let you know! Another friend from Roseburg wants to come, too. It will be fun to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am excited. I have penciled it on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going! A friend is going to meet me at my house. We're going to go early so we can go to Trader Joe's and Glorybee and time to eat our packed lunch. So I'll see you there ~ I'm really looking forward to meeting you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Thanks for letting me know. It sounds like you have a fun day planned. I'm really looking forward to meeting you too!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails