Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Salmon Dinners and Chocolate Cream Pots

In a very sad turn (and bump) of events, I sent my lap top crashing to our tiled floor last night.  Everything seemed fine, until I tried to shut it down.  It had issues, and I manually forced it.  This morning, there was no contact with the hard drive.

I called several places, only to learn that the only thing SURE to kill a hard drive is a fall (even of only a foot) onto a tile floor.  One guy even told me that was actually how he ensured that hard drives were wiped when he recycles old notebooks.

While that may seem to having nothing to do with my kitchen, that hard drive had some truly lovely photos awaiting you for today's Tuesday Twister.

There was oriental salmon a top buttered and steamed asparagus one night.

There was leftover salmon, coconut soup the next night (with a picture I actually have because I shared it with Facebook - along with the recipe)

On a creative whim, I saved about 5 ounces of the heavy coconut cream from the coconut milk and decided to do something desserty with it.  We ended up with banana-coconut chocolate cream pots (which, yes, I should probably have made with carob)

All of the above were new recipes, and simply delicious (am I the only one that wants to spell that with a "sh").  I wish I had pictures for you as well.  Please believe that I was thinking of you.

To make up for it, here is an attempt at capturing my recipe for the cream pots (which I will figure out how to adjust for carob soon)

Banana Coconut Chocolate Cream Pots

Makes 4

5ish ounces of thick coconut cream, skimmed from a can of whole coconut milk
1 very soft banana
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Dagoba)
2-3 Tbsp raw honey
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
dash of vanilla extract and maple syrup

Add coconut cream and banana to food processor and blend well (or mix well by hand with a fork until smooth). 
Then, place bowl over a sauce pan with a small amount of water. 
Place chocolate and honey in the bowl and bring water to a simmer,  Slowly melt the chocolate into the honey. 
When completely combined, let cool slightly, then spatula mixture into food processor with the banana-coconut cream mixture, and blend until well combined (this might require using the spatula on the sides and mixing again.  If working by hand, simply mix together until smooth)
Then, place whipping cream, vanilla and maple syrup in a bowl, and beat until thick.
Add chocolate mixture to whipped cream gently folding until well combined.
Place in 4 ramekin pots, and enjoy!

(This could easily be made ahead of time and served chilled)

7 comments:

  1. Was totally going to pick up some salmon tonight, but got a few slabs of grass fed beef instead. I am REALLY craving some salmon soup (or salmon something) with asparagus (have two bunches waiting to be munched).
    YUMMMMMMM. Have a few yams too, which I could make curry with and serve over the salmon...maybe tomorrow...as it is past my bedtime. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the laptop fall! That would throw me for a loop, for sure. The soup looks wonderful and the pots SOUND wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Boo - Mmmm...grass fed beef. We'll be having that this week too. I really love it when fresh asparagus appears. A true sign of spring. Yam curry? I am hoping that makes an appearance on your new blog.

    Wardeh - Yes, I think I am in denial about the lap top as it also has about 3 years of pictures of my kids (which are not backed up).

    The soup was a true winner. I can't believe I've never made it before. The pots...were very, very delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so yummy! Anything with coconut cream wins me over instantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay,
    Thanks! I subbed this recipe with 1/2 cup carob powder instead of chocolate, and then added a tsp of vanilla extract and chocolate extract, and it was equally delicious.
    I also love coconut cream. It is so filling I don't have to worry about over indulging =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs are going to be the death of me. I started a food blog recently too--so I can't wait to dig through your archives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cydney - Now I'm going to have to discover your food blog too! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails