Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nourishing Yumm Bowls with Homemade Sauce

We recently discovered my 10-month-old has a slight allergy to wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, walnuts, and egg whites.  In my desperation to find something to feed myself in the days after this discovery, I determined to create a healthier version of Yumm sauce.  Cafe Yumm is a popular "healthy" restaurant in my town.  Their sauce is secret.  The best knock-offs I could find online involved soy and canola oil.  Ick.  My recipe received a thumbs up from my husband, but sadly, made me realize I also have to add almonds to the allergy list.

Nourishing Yumm Sauce:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup almond meal from crispy almonds
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2/3 cup soaked and long cooked garbanzo beans
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup lemon juice
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp homemade curry blend (freshly ground fenugreek, coriander, fennel and pepper mixed with turmeric powder)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup fresh cilantro

Directions:
Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.  Tweek as much as you like to taste.

Nourishing Yumm Bowls (an easy to prepare lunch once you have your ingredients prepared in bulk):

Mix prepared basic black beans (according to instructions in NT, i.e. soaked) and prepared rice (also soaked) in a sauce pan to gently reheat.
Remove from heat and place in individual bowls.
Add several spoonfuls of nourishing Yumm sauce and mix well.
Top with diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, creme fraiche (unless you have a dairy allergy), and cilantro.
Optional, add lacto-fermented salsa.
Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a part of Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Cheeseslave as well as Fight Back Fridays by Food Renegade
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Marianne! I'm definitely going to try this. I love Yumm sauce. I'm so sorry to hear about the allergies. How did you find out? Did her eczema go away when you removed all those foods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby - Let me know how it compares for you, and if you tweak it. I think it satisfies the craving, but is not exact yet.

    Yes! Her face cleared up, but now we're trying to figure out what exactly we can add back in, and so little rashes flare up depending on what I try. She also has a slew of environmental allergies so it's hard to really tell what is happening. All the experts agree she'll grow out of all of it by 3, so at least we have that!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails