Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Soaked Granola

This week I experimented with a soaked granola technique I have been thinking about for quite some time.  It worked well.  My family enjoyed it as a snack and also loved it drowned with raw milk as cold cereal (which really never happens here) for the first few hot days of summer.  Now I need to go start a new batch!

Soaked Granola

Ingredients:
Oats (gluten-free oats if need be)
Raw Almonds (if you can find them) prepared according to crispy almonds* recipe in Nourishing Traditions
Raisins
Raw Honey
Cinnamon (optional)
Any other desired ingredients (optional)

Directions:
Soak oats for 7 hours as follows, 1to1 oats and water, plus 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, buttermilk, lemon juice, or yogurt (I choose ACV because we are working with a dairy allergy right now, but I also find it does not turn the oats to mush as quickly as yogurt).
The oats will have absorbed most of the liquid, so place them, as is, in your dehydrator (or oven set at 150) until crisp.
Break up oats and place them in large bowl.
Chop up crispy almonds* in desired proportion to oats and add to bowl.
Add handfuls of raisins in desired proportion.
Sprinkle cinnamon generously (optional)
Add anything else that sounds good (unsweetened coconut flakes, other crispy nuts, banana chips, other dried fruits, homemade carob chips, perhaps some melted coconut oil if you want to add some fat content)
Add a large dollop of raw honey, enough to be worked in and make everything a little sticky. (At this point my husband looked at me and asked me if I knew what I was doing because he didn't think I was doing it right.  I gave him a look that suggested he drop the commentary.)
Use a butter knife to cut the honey into the mix.  Cut until everything is well mixed and coated with a thin layer of stickiness.
Place in a 350 degree oven on rimmed baking sheet (parchment lined) for 10 minutes or so (depending on how large a batch you have made and how cooked you would like your granola).
Remove and break up for storage or instant snacking.
Enjoy!

*For crispy almonds, find raw almonds (preferably skinless), soak in salt water (4 cups almonds, 1 tbsp sea salt, covered with filtered water) for 7-10 hours, then drain and dehydrate until crisp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a part of Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly The Kitchen Kop.  For other recipes and inspiration, visit the carnival!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 comments:

  1. ooo! I like this method and will have to try it next time! I just made my first batch of soaked granola and was trying to come up with a plan for add-ins for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to have some soaked and crisped oats, I am going to do this! We make 'granola bars' out of our oats, but I am going to do this! Thanks. This is how we do "granola" Page down, it is what we do with our leftover Baked oatmeal. The children LOVE this and it is like the best cold cereal.
    http://shelookethwell.blogspot.com/2009/09/nourishing-breakfast-challenge-baked.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anjanette - I am still thinking of good add-in combinations. We just did almonds and raisins, which was delicious and simple, but I think we could make it into a heartier "trail mix" for camping and hiking season. You'll have to let me know if you come up with a winning blend.

    Michelle - Thank you for the link! That sounds like a great method too. One thing I wondered about was if my shorter bake time removed enough phytates, even after soaking. I still have yet to try baked oatmeal. I think I'll add it to the next weeks menu plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good one! I need to haul out my dehydrater...it's been resting for a bit but it is time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy - It is a good time! And you shouldn't have too use it for too long to get the oats crisp (no overheating the kitchen in the summer).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been researching a soaked oat granola recipe and this was helpful. Yet elsewhere I have read that you have to put some flour into the soaking oats... "Be sure to add 1/3 c. whole wheat or spelt or buckwheat flour in order to have some phytase available to break down the phytic acid. Without it, this process is worthless."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am familiar with the advice to add some freshly ground whole wheat. I imagine it can't hurt - unless you are eating oats to avoid wheat/gluten (though buckwheat is gluten-free). However, I would hardly call the process worthless. There is a HUGE difference in texture, taste, and digestibility when the oats are soaked overnight - in fact, I notice a difference even from 7 hours to 12 hours. Soaking absolutely changes the oats. Beyond my own taste and experience, I have had friends who used to have such severe indigestion from oatmeal that they had given it up. Once I told them to try soaking their oats, they were able to enjoy them without a single problem. I hope that's helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails