Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Gluten-free, Dairy-free Desserts

This week was filled with trying to create recipes to provide yummy treats while keeping gluten and dairy (and nut and egg white and soy) free.

Here were my attempts:


I adapted the cupcake recipe I made for my son's birthday last year.  The gluten/dairy free ones are pictured on the right.  I subbed a mix of brown rice flour and arrowroot powder, and used coconut oil and coconut milk instead of butter and milk.  They were quite tasty, but it is important to make sure the gluten-free ones cool completely before eating, or else they are much too crumbly.  Refrigeration helps too.


A coconut milk smoothie is my fall back quick fix for a snack (mind you I am still nursing, so I find myself in need of extra calories throughout the day).  I blend coconut milk, some fresh and/or frozen fruit, and a spoon full of raw honey (not pictured).  This photo was taken on the 4th of July, as it seemed quite festive.

This carob-coconut log recipe still needs work, but it involved buckwheat flour, coconut oil, rapadura, some salt, and coconut flakes.

This morning I decided to attempt some peppermint patties.  See my recipe here.









------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a part of Tuesday Twister hosted by GNOWFGLINS. What was twisting in your kitchen last week?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Your food looks so delicious! I would love the recipe for your peppermint patties. My MIL loves them and would be so pleased if I made hear a healthier version of them =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut Mama - I was hoping to get that recipe up today! However, a heat wave has made most of my kitchen plans take a break this week =( Hopefully next week! In case you want to do some experiments in the mean time, the center is a blend of raw honey, coconut oil, arrowroot powder, and peppermint extract. Then you need to shape the interiors and chill them well (perhaps freeze them, I'll be experimenting), then coat in melted chocolate and keep chilled. I'll have more specifics soon. It's always nice to impress the MIL =)

    ReplyDelete

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails