Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Unprocessed: Day Four

This post is an update in the ongoing October Unprocessed challenge by Eating Rules.  They are now up to 2,400 people who have signed up for the challenge!

Our weekend started off decently considering Saturdays have become my husband's day to be in charge of food.  As convinced as he is of the value of eating whole foods, traditionally prepared, when it really comes down to it, convenience is still king.  His convenience choices, however, get better and better all the time.  With this pregnancy, he is also cooking more than ever before and learning that making good food doesn't have to take that much time.  All that said, Saturday he brought home chicken strips for lunch, and I am sure whatever they were breaded in would not pass the kitchen test.  The kids ate them, I took a bite, and then went and found our leftover chicken to snack on instead.

Saturday night he made us a chicken pasta with leftover chicken from a roast earlier in the week, some sauciness that he made himself with herbs and extra virgin olive oil, and brown rice pasta noodles.  Sunday night was steak and the last of the summer squash.  Monday was spiced ground beef (my kids LOVE this simple dish) and salad.  I made maple and chocolate whipped cream for dessert (yum) the leftovers of which my kids *may* have eaten with their breakfast this morning.



Today for lunch: Steak salad (see recipe at the bottom of this post) with nectarine.  It is always very satisfying and easy to make. 

In the picture to the left you can see a little preview of things to come.  We'll have acorn squash as a side dish this week, pumpkin pie as a dessert, and butternut squash as a main soup course with plenty of leftovers for easy lunches.  I love cooking in the fall! 




Breakfasts have been soaked oatmeal porridge,
 homemade granola, eggs, or yogurt and raisins, 
served, of course, with raw milk.





What about you?  Are you staying unprocessed for October?  My biggest commitment is not to buy any more of the sprouted bread we usually eat from Alvarado St. because it does contain soy lecithin (which I avoid as much as possible, but usually allow in this case for the convenience of not making bread).   I'll have to explore my local bakery options for a good, true sourdough that only contains wheat, salt, water, and sourdough culture, hopefully with a nice long rise time.  Or, I'll just have to get back into making my own loaves.  What is your biggest hurdle to eating unprocessed foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails