Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Three Onion, Sausage, Potato Cream Soup

This weeks CSA share
A soup recipe in June?!  Well, here in Seattle, you wouldn't know it was summer.  However, our organic CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) is in the growing season.  I love this time of year because I have a good excuse not to do much menu planning. I won't know what's in my box until I collect it, and then I'll have to invent recipes around my seasonal produce share.  Like most cooks I know, I do not enjoy having to put dinner on the table every night.  What I enjoy is being creative in the kitchen (another reason I am bad at menu plans), which I got to do today.  Garlic scapes, and turnips, and kale, oh my!  

I wish I'd grabbed the camera earlier, but I didn't think about pictures until we'd already nearly finished the soup.  So my apologies for the photo.  My husband really liked this soup.  Every time I make soup he tells me, "I don't actually like soup, but this is good."  Seriously.  Every time.  Tonight was no different.  The man likes soup.  Truth is, he'd never ask for soup, but he likes it well-enough.  Well, my friends, I think I just converted him into a soup-requester.  I know he will want this soup again, so I am going to write down the recipe so I can make sure to add it into my repertoire.  

Three Onion, Sausage, Potato Cream Soup

Ingredients
2 tbsp pastured butter
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 bunches garlic scapes, chopped
3 large Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
1 bunch turnips, quartered
1/2 bunch kale, remove central stem and chop the rest
6 bratwurst sausages, cut into inch-pieces
1 tbsp gelatin
filtered water
1/2 cup pastured cream
two springs fresh thyme & two springs fresh rosemary - tied with string
generous amounts of freshly ground pepper and Celtic sea salt to taste

Directions
Melt butter and olive oil over medium - med-low heat.
Saute onion until soft.  Add scapes and garlic and let soften 2-4 minutes.
Add potatoes, turnips, kale, sausage pieces and gelatin and cover with filtered water.  Pour in cream and top with freshly ground pepper, sea salt and place in tied herbs.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer for 1 hr or more.  Remove tied herbs.  Serve and enjoy!

Note: 
I was out of broth, or I would have used it.  Thus I used water and added gelatin.  The soup broth was delicious and I imagine it would be even richer with homemade stock, but I'll have to let you know next time. My kids also praised me and kept asking for more, with more sausage.  So when I make it again, I will probably use 8 sausages.


***This recipe is a part of Fight Back Fridays at Food Renagade***


1 comment:

Questions and Comments welcome! If you would prefer to contact me privately, please email mariannescrivner (at) gmail (dot) com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails